Trademarks and Licensing

Protecting, promoting & enhancing the University of Arizona brand


  • A UA licensed vendor is a business or corporation that is approved to print and produce merchandise that bears the University of Arizona marks. Being a licensed vendor means that you abide by the University's Labor Code of Conduct, have a royalty reporting structure in place, you are part of a select group of vendors in that product category, and you produce quality merchandise that is associated with the UA brand. The Department of Trademarks and Licensing manages this ever-evolving list of licensed vendors.

  • If your company only sells finished products and does not produce, alter, repackage, or finish collegiate products in any way, you are not required to have a license. Retailers should ensure that the collegiate products they purchase are produced by licensed vendors as discerning consumers will not purchase products that appear counterfeit or unlicensed. Retailers that also screen or embroider their own products or source the products from an associated company must obtain a collegiate license. Visit the Retailer section of the UA's licensing agent, the Collegiate Licensing Company, FAQ’s page for additional information.

  • The licensing process can vary in length due a number of factors outlined on the Timelines and Costs page. Because the Restricted Licensee application process is streamlined, it is generally much faster. The Standard and Local application processes take varying amounts of time to complete based on the number of institutions being sought. Information on these license types can be found on the License Types page. Generally, the fewer the number of institutions requested, the more expeditious the application process. In the spirit of fairness, we cannot accommodate “rush” requests as all requests are treated equally and on a first-come, first-served basis.


  • The UA's licensing agent, the Collegiate Licensing Company, has extensive information on their website detailing collegiate licensing including Timelines and CostsLicensing InformationTypes of LicensesApplication RequestNCAA/Bowls/Conferences. These Web pages, combined with this FAQ’s section and CLC’s FAQ’s section, should answer most of the questions that you may have about the licensing process. Additional questions can be directed via email to



  • Obtaining an Arizona license through CLC is a process that will require a great deal of thought, research, and commitment. With hundreds of companies already licensed to produce a wide range of products, only those companies that can exhibit a commitment to the collegiate market, have established production and distribution capabilities, and/or offer a new or unique product will likely be granted the opportunity to obtain a license. CLC’s website has extensive information on collegiate licensing including Licensing InformationTypes of LicensesTimelines and CostsApplication RequestNCAA/Bowls/Conferences. Various aspects of the licensing application process are covered in these web pages in addition to the financial and resource commitments necessary to successfully maintaining a collegiate license. These Web pages, combined with this FAQ’s section and CLC’s FAQ’s section, should answer most of your questions about the licensing process. Additional questions can be emailed to:

  • A trademark is any word, phrase, symbol, design, sound, smell, color, product configuration, group of letters or numbers, or combination of these, adopted and used by a company to identify its products or services, and distinguish them from products and services made, sold, or provided by others.

    The primary purpose of trademarks is to prevent consumers from becoming confused about the source or origin of a product or service. Trademarks help consumers answer the questions: "Who makes this product?" and, "Who provides this service?". As consumers become familiar with particular marks, and the goods or services they represent, marks can acquire a "secondary meaning," such as indicators of quality. Certain common words and geographical locations can also acquire secondary meaning and are afforded protection under the trademark law. "ARIZONA" is a geographical location, but it has also become a trademark for The University of Arizona.

    Trademarks help consumers answer another question: "Is this product or service a good one to purchase?" It is obvious to most people that The University of Arizona does not make all or most of the manufactured products that carry the University's trademarks. Through the University's licensing program companies have been authorized (licensed) to utilize the trademarks on a variety of goods and services. The University's willingness to license these manufacturers or service providers extends to them very valuable intellectual property assets that provide consumers with access to products that they associate with the University.

  • A trademark license grants individuals, organizations, or corporations authorization to produce commercial goods or services bearing the University's trademarks. The University has established a standard royalty rate of 12% that is included in the wholesale prices charged by the licensed vendors. CLC collects minimal annual advances from all licensees. Those advances are determined by the category of the product being licensed for production. Licensed vendors are required to provide proof of insurance as specified by CLC.

    The University of Arizona and CLC reserve the right to create new licensing programs and fees as market trends permit. Companies asking to be licensed only for the University of Arizona may request a local/restricted license application.

    The license types available are:

    The Crafter License is intended for individuals who hand craft items bearing the University of Arizona logos. Individuals who hold this license are not allowed to generate more than $500 in royalties or sell more than 2,500 units in a calendar year. 

    RESTRICTED (Internal Campus Supplier)
    This type of license is for companies who wish to produce items used by the University of Arizona for internal use only. Restricted Licensed vendors are not authorized to sell any products for traditional retail sales. Often a Promotional addendum is added to Restriced Licenses so royalty rates can be charged for premium promotional products or items bearing third company logos in addition the the University's logos. 

    The Local License is for companies that desire to obtain a license with the University of Arizona and possibly 1-2 other institutions in the state of Arizona only.

    The Standard License is intended for companies that are capable of extensive production and retail distribution of their product(s) and/or are introducing a unique and commercially viable product to the collegiate market. The Standard Lcense is usually not for first-time applicants or companies without well-established marketing plans, existing product distribution, and/or a financial history of selling licensed product. This license is for the production of emblematic merchandise which will be sold by the licensed vendor to retailers.

    These are special licenses for companies that wish to obtain rights to use the trademarks of the NCAA, bowl games, athletic conferences, or special event for use on licensed merchandise, either alone or in conjunction with an institution’s trademarks. Licensing rights to these properties can be more expensive to obtain, depending on the event and the extent of the rights and product categories.


  • Royalty Rate - the percentage collected by a licensor for the use of its mark.

    • 12% royalty will apply if the item being produced is intended for retail (i.e. resold for profit)
    • 15% royalty will apply if the artwork includes one or more sponsor logos – regardless of whether the item will be sold or not.

    There is no royalty applied for:

    1. Non-resale items purchased by The University of Arizona for its exclusive use (such as brochures/print material, letterhead, business cards, uniforms, website applications, etc.) that do not include one or more sponsor/outside corporate logos;
    2. Items produced as official UA department, club or organization giveaways that do not include one or more sponsor/outside corporate logos;
    3. Artwork that does not include an official UA logo/mark.
  • Anyone who wishes to produce commercial goods or services, that bear University trademarks must obtain a license to do so.